Subject: To OCPs and NFPs for action: Key actions in response to increasing SARS-CoV-2 activity in the EU/EEA
From: "ECDC respiratory viruses" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "ECDC Info" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2024 19:32:23 +0300

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on väljastpoolt asutust saabunud kirjaga. Tundmatu 
saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

To:        Operational Contact Points for Influenza, COVID-19 and SARI, 
National Focal Points for Viral Respiratory Diseases

Cc:       National Coordinators

Dear network members,

Thank you for your continued data submissions to TESSy, which allow us to 
provide weekly updates to the European Respiratory Virus Surveillance 
Summary (ERVISS).

Following a period of very low activity, there is evidence of increased 
SARS-CoV-2 activity for some reporting EU/EEA countries, with rising 
sentinel and non-sentinel test positivity in both primary and secondary care 
since approximately week 18, 2024. Those aged 65 years and above remain at 
greatest risk of experiencing severe disease, with test positivity highest 
for this age group in secondary care. Although COVID-19 hospital admissions, 
ICU admissions and deaths remain low at the EU/EEA level, there is evidence 
in some countries of increased hospitalisations and deaths, possibly driven 
by outbreaks in healthcare settings, such as hospitals and nursing/care 
facilities.

Increases in SARS-CoV-2 activity highlight the continued need to monitor the 
impact of SARS-CoV-2 at national and regional level, and this e-mail serves 
to highlight key actions for Member States:

Continue testing ,sequencing and reporting

In order to assess the impact of emerging SARS-CoV-2 sub-lineages, and their 
possible correlation with increases in COVID-19 epidemiological indicators, 
it is important that countries continue to sequence SARS-CoV-2-positive 
clinical specimens and report to GISAID and/or TESSy. To facilitate this, it 
remains important that testing of symptomatic individuals for SARS-CoV-2 
continues to be performed during the summer period and that reporting of 
sentinel and non-sentinel data to TESSy continues.

Promote vaccination for risk groups

Vaccination remains critically important to protect individuals​ at high 
risk for severe outcomes, such as older adults and people with underlying 
conditions. While COVID-19 vaccination continues to be protective against 
severe disease, its protective effect wanes over time and individuals at 
higher risk should continue to remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccination 
as per national recommendations.

Promote measures to reduce transmission

For the general public it remains important to promote practices that reduce 
transmission risk, such as respiratory hygiene and staying home when sick, 
particularly as crowds gather for events during the summer months.

ECDC has published guidance on 
<https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/considerations-infection-prevention-and-control-practices-relation-respiratory> 
Considerations for infection prevention and control practices in relation to 
respiratory viral infections in healthcare settings, which summarises key 
principles for limiting transmission in closed settings at times where 
increased SARS-CoV-2 circulation may pose a risk for vulnerable groups and 
healthcare staff.

Best wishes,

ECDC Respiratory Viruses team

Useful links:

*	European Respiratory Virus Surveillance Summary
Website - erviss.org <https://erviss.org/>
EpiPulse item - 
<https://epipulse.ecdc.europa.eu/ebs/#/item/details/2023-IRV-00007> 
https://epipulse.ecdc.europa.eu/ebs/#/item/details/2023-IRV-00007

*	SARS-CoV-2 variant classifications and variant distribution
Website - https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/variants-concern
EpiPulse item - 
<https://epipulse.ecdc.europa.eu/ebs/#/item/details/2020-EIP-00001> 
https://epipulse.ecdc.europa.eu/ebs/#/item/details/2020-EIP-00001

European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)Gustav III:s boulevard 40, 169 73 Solna, Sweden

Phone +46 (0)8 58 60 10 00

 <https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/> www.ecdc.europa.eu

Follow ECDC on:

 <http://www.facebook.com/ECDC.EU>

 <http://twitter.com/ecdc_eu>

 <http://www.linkedin.com/company/ecdc>

 <http://www.youtube.com/user/ECDCchannel>

Confidentiality Notice
If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby kindly 
requested, to, consecutively, refrain from disclosing its content to any 
third party, delete it and inform its sender of the erroneous transmittal.